Thursday, November 20, 2008

Shungnak

I know that I have said this before, but one of the great things about coaching volleyball in Alaska is that I get to travel to places that I probably wouldn't get to see otherwise. Two weekends ago, I headed out to a village in our region called Shungnak. To get there, we took a small 9-seater bush airplane. Although I was quite nervous to fly in such a small plane, in Alaska nontheless, it turned out to be a once in a lifetime experience. First of all, the flight was amazing: flying much lower than you do in a jet, and seeing all of the incredible scenery that Alaska has to offer. I got over the fact that we were flying in a tiny plane over some of the most dangerous airspace that there is. Second of all, I got to visit a village that looks just like what you would think when you think of Alaska. Here are some pictures from the village of Shungnak:



We traveled to Shungnak to play in a mix-6 volleyball tournament (guys and girls). It was a great experience for the girls to play against teams with guys on them, and to play on a men's height net. It was also an experience to go to such a small village. Shugnank is a village of about 300 people. It was crazy to visit the store and see how little they have there, and to see a school wide assembly and realize that there were less than 100 kids K-12 at the school. It made Kotzebue seem huge!!

No comments: