Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Atikluk

You are probably wondering what that crazy looking word is in my blog title! An atikluk is a traditional top worn by Inupiaq women. The same style of top is often made into a parka by lining it with fur, etc. When I was in Anchorage last month, I picked up some fabric and I asked one of the native women who works at the school to sew me an atikluk. Here I am wearing it:


The legend says that when you look at the Northern Lights, you must have your hood on or else they will come down and cut your head off (kind of morbid). So, that is why all atikluks are made with hoods. I am definitely learning the culture! Michael and I are also getting fur hats, which we should get next week. My hat is sea otter on the inside with suade on the outside, and Michael's is a sea otter on the inside with seal on the outside. Never thought I would own a fur hat!!

2 comments:

Ty and Molly said...

1. I can send you a great fur hat!
2. I love your atikluk...one of my good friends is native alaskan and rocks the atikluks all the time. I think they are super cool.

Farmers Veggie Wife said...

That thing is awesome!
Good choice of color too.
Looks really comfy.