Like I have said so many times before, coaching in Alaska is just about one of the coolest things I get to do. I get to visit so many amazing places that I would never in my life have seen otherwise. Two weekends ago, we got to head off to Valdez for a volleyball tournament. I am sure many of you have heard of Valdez; it is where the Trans-Alaska oil pipeline ends, and the site of the famous Exxon-Valdez oil spill. It is also one of the more beautiful places that I have had a chance to visit. Valdez is surrounded on three sides by huge, snow-capped mountains, and the fourth side is beautiful blue glacier water. It is exactly the picture that you would have in your mind when you think of Alaska. We flew into Valdez (yes, our travel budget is outrageous), which was neat because we got a good view of everything, including the storage facilities for the oil. Plus, on our drive from the airport we saw a brown bear right along the side of the road! Here are some pictures of this beautiful town:
Where the oil ends up:

Flying into Valdez:
Getting off the plane:
Views around town (the day after we arrived was BEAUTIFUL!):


Oh, yes, we were there for volleyball. I have a great group of girls this year, and now that I am in my third year of coaching I have coached many of these girls for their entire high school career. The girls did great at the tournament, and I am really excited for what this season holds! We have our one and only home weekend this weekend, and then we are heading two more tournaments before regionals, which is the first week in November.
No comments:
Post a Comment